Spelling for Life $10 Weekly Live Masterclass
If you feel that you want to help your students build an understanding of the structure of English words, but you don’t have time to attend a full day seminar, the Spelling for Life $10 Weekly Live Masterclass is ideal.
This week…extra session Sunday Sept 13 2-3pm:
Final Silent E in all its glory!
Last week (August 26th 2015 at 13:00 and 18:00 Melbourne time):
The week before(August 19th 2015 at 13:00 and 18:00 Melbourne time):
We’ve taken this highly acclaimed, research-based program and broken it down into weekly steps for only $10 per week, delivered live over the internet. You will gain tools to teach your students:
- about why words are spelled the way they are,
- how to make the best spelling choices,
- ways to remember tricky spelling,
- how our language is built,
- how to make an effective, long-term list of all the words they find tricky.
There are four stages in Spelling for Life:
1. Spelling Starter – This section is written to make sure your students can match the symbols of the alphabet with their sounds. This is the essential starting point. Learn how to take the single vowels and consonants of the alphabet and put them together to make simple syllables. The letter Y and its role in words is a feature of this section.
2. Spelling Technician – No spelling program would be complete without a thorough look at the letter E at the end of words. We also cover vowels and the letter R (ar, er, ir, or, ur) and other two-letter vowels.
3. Spelling Expert – With sound knowledge of simple syllables, we head into multisyllable territory. Students learn to identify strong and weak syllables and get taught a spelling formula that helps organise and sequence words of increasing complexity. The concept of doubling is also visited here.
4. Here we put all of our past knowledge together to explore the concept of prefixes, root words and suffixes – essential knowledge to enhance and support spelling development.
We will cycle through these stages 1-3 times per week so that if you miss a class, you can hop on board on the next round.
There are no joining fees, no contracts and no obligation. We will arrange times and dates for all sessions a week in advance and notify you of subjects to be covered. Sessions are organised during school and out of school hours. You can decide if you would like to participate.
1. Introduction to concepts covered in the session(5 mins).
2. Live presentation of lessons (40 mins).
3. Outline of assignments for the week to do with your students (5 mins)
3. Live Q&A session re this lesson (10 mins)
Participants will be issued with worksheets and handouts 24 hours prior to the session.
All participants qualify for discounted copies of the Spelling for Life book – but it is NOT obligatory to have one.
This is a live, online seminar, all participants have to have an internet connection. You do not need any special software to join us, just a link that we send you prior to the seminar. If you cannot access the seminar due to technical difficulties, your money will be cheerfully refunded.
Cost: $10 per session via Paypal
Join our masterclass mailing list to be notified of times and dates of the next class.