Spelling for Life free webinar series (PD322)
EASTER IS NEARLY HERE. LET’S GET THE JIM JAMS OUT!
APRIL 14, 12pm Melbourne time – we’ll do some spelling words with the 4-Step Process.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Lyn Stone presented a series of free webinars for teachers and students all around the world. Over 500 people from six continents joined us.
Lyn did every lesson dressed in her pyjamas, and a new name for the group was born. We are now called The Jim Jam Gang!
Sign up and be notified as more dates are confirmed.
Suitable for: Primary school children who can already read and write well enough to copy down words at a reasonable pace. Little ones can look in too, but might not be able to keep up with the writing.
To the adults who are thinking about joining the list:
If you are an adult hoping for some free PD, sign up by all means, you are most welcome. I’m thrilled that you are interested enough to want to be here! Please understand though that these webinars are for kids who are experiencing horrible and stressful pandemic situations. It’s a way of lightening things for them. There will be some good teaching here and lots of lovely learning will take place, but this isn’t a training session for grown-ups. Please don’t treat it that way by asking me questions to clarify your adult understanding. This is a conversation between me and my young audience. If you would like me to train you, by all means sign up for one of my many courses or book me to come and speak to your school or even book a 1:1 mentoring session. I’d be happy to oblige!
Before you email me asking for the recording, save yourself some time by reading this:
The lessons are recorded and placed on the Lifelong Literacy website and courses afterwards. They last around 30 minutes each. They will also be added to the Spelling for Life Online course as instructional videos for all course participants. By registering, you agree to allow this footage to be used in any way by Lifelong Literacy.
The important details
When: 12pm Melbourne Australia time – check your time zone!
MEDIUM: Zoom – It’s the same meeting room every time, so tuck the link away for future use.
You will need:
- A stable internet connection,
- Sound and vision on your device,
- The ability to join Zoom conferences,
- A lined exercise book to copy down your spelling rules and lists.
How to make things run smoothly:
- Please make sure that our email address is on your whitelist.
- Please check your timezone. We are located in Australia, about as far away from Greenwich as you can be, which basically means we are ahead of you in time no matter where you are in the world. So if the webinar is advertised on a Saturday, it might be Friday for you. It definitely won’t be Sunday (unless you’re in New Zealand). A good plan is to punch Melbourne into your weather app on your phone. It will tell you what time it is here at all times.
- We mute your microphone when you join us, because we’re usually hosting hundreds of people, and all the clicking in the background gets very, noisy very fast. Please don’t unmute yourself unless we are in question time at the end. If you unmute prior to this and we have to keep muting you, we will have no choice but to put you back into the waiting room. Please make sure your child understands this before joining the lesson.
- If you are having trouble seeing or hearing us during the webinar, I’m afraid we can’t stop the webinar to help you out. It is almost certainly something on your end. We would be sorry to see you go during the webinar, but sometimes that’s all that is possible. Please try not to send messages about not being able to hear or see us, there’s nothing we can do and it interrupts the webinar for everyone else; such is tech. This is why we record the webinar and make it available afterwards, just in case the tech gods have decreed that you can’t join in today.
- If you’re unfamiliar with Zoom, give it a low-stakes go first so you know a little bit about what is and isn’t possible. Call up a relative or a friend and mess about. It’s quite simple once you get to know it and being familiar with it prior to the webinar will make it so much more enjoyable for you.
We have a waiting room and all guests are checked before being admitted into the webinar. If you have not registered with us using this page prior to the meeting, you will not be allowed in. Please make sure that your Zoom name matches the name you have registered under. This allows us to add a layer of security to all meetings.
We will be recording and uploading these events. By filling in this form, you give your consent to have your child included in these recordings. Their name, microphone and/or camera may make it onto the recording. You can manually adjust these settings yourself.
See you online really soon!
Lyn and the Lifelong Literacy team
IMPORTANT NOTE: WE CANNOT PROCESS YOUR REGISTRATION MANUALLY. PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS REGISTRATION FORM AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. IF YOU SEND US AN EMAIL ASKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTERING, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESPOND. THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR REGISTRATION QUESTIONS ARE IN THIS FORM.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Teaching the Alphabet and Handwriting Mini-Course (PD411)AUD $71.50 Add to cart
Initial consultation with Lifelong Literacy: Sibling DiscountAUD $192.50 Add to cart