Once every four years (or ‘Olympiad’ as it’s known to those in the know!), people from the world’s nations get together to compete in a series of exciting games called the Olympics. The origin of these games can be traced back to ancient Greece. The games are named for Mount Olympus, the home of the major gods of the Greek myths.
We’ve put ten Olympic-themed words together to help bolster a rich unit of study on these wonderful events.
The words are: athlete, ceremony, compete, marathon, medal, nation, Olympus, podium, spectate and victor. The kit comes with etymological and orthographic notes about them all.
AGE GROUP FOR MAINSTREAM SCHOOL POPULATIONS
The word and world-knowledge required for this unit of study would be no earlier than Grade 4 (fifth year of formal schooling).
FOR INTERVENTION STUDENTS
Select the words that students find tricky and work on them.
WANT MORE KITS?
Click here for the Ancient Egypt kit
LIKE THE KITS? DO THE COURSE!
We know that orthographic mapping, the process of storing words in long-term memory happens best if words are driven via the phonological route. Now what? How do we make that happen for the tens of thousands of words out there?
By taking four steps:
In this self-paced online course, Lyn will take you through the four steps she uses in her practice to study words. She will use a variety of words, from simple to complex to demonstrate how the 4 Step Process can be used with students of all ages and abilities.
- The ability to study any English word in a useful, memorable way
- A deeper understanding of the process of orthographic mapping
- Greater skill in reaching students with dyslexia and other language-based disorders
- Once registration is complete, we will send you an invitation from Open Learning.
- Once you have registered with Open Learning, you will be able to access the course.
- Once you have started the course, you will have six weeks to access the course modules.
- The modules will take the form of re-playable videos, downloadable pdf files, quizzes and forums for queries and sharing.
- You will receive a certificate for 2 hours of professional development.
IMPORTANT ORDERING INFORMATION
When you place your order, you will see a confirmation screen. Your download is on that screen and you will also be sent an email with your download, so please check your junk filters. If you didn’t get the email, it’s you, not us. This is an automated system that doesn’t make errors.
Here’s what your confirmation screen looks like:
Here’s what your email looks like, so you get a second chance to download the material, just click the link:
If you are still having bother, do contact us and we’ll help you.