During the COVID-19 pandemic, Lyn Stone presented 20 free webinars for teachers and students all around the world. Nearly 500 people from six continents joined us.
Lyn did every lesson dressed in her pyjamas, and a new name for the group was born. We are now called The Jim Jam Gang!
Lyn has to go back to work now. Her students are allowed to come to her practice and she has a number of teacher training courses to administer.
As a result, regular Jim Jam Gang lessons have stopped for now. We will be getting back together from time to time, so if you sign up, you will be notified about when that will happen.
Suitable for: Primary school children who can already read and write well enough to copy down words at a reasonable pace. Little ones can look in too, but might not be able to keep up with the writing.
The lessons are recorded and placed on the Lifelong Literacy website afterwards. They last around 30 minutes each. They will also be added to the Spelling for Life Online course as instructional videos for all course participants.
When: 11am Melbourne Australia time – check your emails for notices about them!
You will need:
- A stable internet connection,
- Sound and vision on your device,
- The ability to join Zoom conferences,
- A lined exercise book to copy down your spelling rules and lists.
How to make things run smoothly:
- Please make sure that our email address is on your whitelist. We send from @lifelongliteracy.com. If you do not hear from us prior to the webinar, please check the email address you signed up with (one small error means you won’t hear from us), also check your spam filters and junk email box.
- Please check your timezone. We are located in Australia, about as far away from Greenwich as you can be, which basically means we are ahead of you in time. So if the webinar is advertised on a Saturday, it might be Friday for you. It definitely won’t be Sunday (unless you’re in New Zealand). A good plan is to punch Melbourne into your weather app on your phone. It will tell you what time it is here at all times.
- We mute your microphone and turn off your camera when you join us, because we’re usually hosting hundreds of people, and all the clicking in the background gets very, noisy very fast. Please don’t unmute yourself unless we are in question time at the end. If you unmute prior to this and we can’t override it, we will have no choice but to put you into the waiting room.
- If you are having trouble seeing or hearing us during the webinar, I’m afraid we can’t stop the webinar to help you out. It is almost certainly something on your end. We would be sorry to see you go during the webinar, but sometimes that’s all that is possible. Please try not to send messages about not being able to hear or see us, there’s nothing we can do and it interrupts the webinar for everyone else, such is tech. This is why we record the webinar and make it available afterwards, just in case the tech gods have decreed that you can’t join in today.
- We also make the homework available after the webinar on our website under the ‘Resources’ tab.
- If you’re unfamiliar with Zoom, give it a low-stakes go first so you know a little bit about what is and isn’t possible. Call up a relative or a friend and mess about. It’s quite simple once you get to know it and being familiar with it prior to the webinar will make it so much more enjoyable for you.
Meeting ID: 214-426-296
We have a waiting room and all guests are checked before being admitted into the webinar. If you have not registered with us prior to the meeting, you will not be allowed in. Please make sure that your Zoom name matches the name you have registered under. This allows us to add a layer of security to all meetings.
We will be recording and uploading these events. By filling in this form, you give your consent to have your child included in these recordings. Their name, microphone and/or camera may make it onto the recording. You can manually adjust these settings yourself.
See you online really soon!
Lyn and the Lifelong Literacy team
IMPORTANT NOTE: WE CANNOT PROCESS YOUR REGISTRATION MANUALLY. PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS REGISTRATION FORM AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. IF YOU SEND US AN EMAIL ASKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT REGISTERING, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESPOND. THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR REGISTRATION QUESTIONS ARE IN THIS FORM.