We get enquiries about joining our team on a regular basis, which is very lovely. Here are some things it might help you to know before applying:
- Our training and induction process takes a long time. During that time we have a series of online courses that you have to complete and a minimum number of hours you have to spend shadowing our experienced staff. You will not be paid during this process.
- Once you are ready to work with clients, there is a minimum number of hours that supervision is required from mentors in our team. We will negotiate that, depending on your experience. You will be paid during this process.
- You must be available to build up to a caseload of 15+ clients per week on the Mornington Peninsula. We are not seeking online tutors at this stage so please do not apply if you cannot make it to Mornington for work.
- You must be able to do after-school hours M-F and possibly some hours on Saturdays. Your client list will consist of work during these times at first, so if you are seeking school hours employment only, this is not the job for you.
- We provide the workspace and all the materials for your sessions. If you have your own materials, they will be vetted by us. We are a low-variance practice and only use the highest quality resources.
- We have an ongoing program of staff development. We will organise staff training days where we all get together and learn something new. We also study a book together from time to time in an hour-a-week book club type format. You will not be paid for attendance to this training.
- From time to time, we will recommend a paid professional development workshop that other providers are offering. We will subsidise your attendance to these if we think they’ll be worthwhile. We will not, however, pay for any training outside Lifelong Literacy until you have completed our set list of courses.
- You are free to seek other employment alongside your hours here at Lifelong Literacy, but if your work places you in direct competition with us, we will terminate your employment, re-absorb all your Lifelong Literacy clients, and will invoice you for $300 per course that you have studied with us.
Minimum requirements are:
- training and experience in at least one major systematic synthetic phonics program
- 2+ years experience working with clients with learning disabilities
- up to date Working With Children Check
We also need people who understand the great struggle faced by so many in an educational climate that is low on explicit instruction and high on parent and student blaming. We need applicants who are familiar with the latest research on the process of learning to read and who are skilled readers and writers themselves.
Contact us if you would like to submit your resume. We are taking applications by email only. If you call, we will not be able to respond.
Possible maths tutoring
Due to high demand, we are seeking a qualified maths tutor for online and in-person maths tutoring. We have a large and expanding client list that our current maths tutor can no longer fulfil, so we need another hand on deck. The ideal candidate will have training and experience in maths assessment, progress monitoring, developmental disorders of mathematics and Tier 3 intervention for primary and high school children, ideally with a good working knowledge of the Australian maths curriculum. Excellent rates and ready-made client list for the right candidate. Contact us if this interests you.